Filming MyMS Yoga in Boston with Baron Baptiste

Filming MyMS Yoga in Boston with Baron Baptiste

Monday, February 22, 2010

Drug and Yoga Therapy - All in One Morning

Amidst the large snow fall this morning, I managed to make it to 6am Ashtanga yoga. The primary series of Ashtanga yoga is known as "yoga chikitsa" or yoga therapy. It's almost the same set of poses every morning with some variance between postures and intensity. I felt really strong this morning and had a great practice. I was able to kick up into handstand 5 times! Maybe my strength was coming from the fact that in only an hour after class, I knew I would be receiving my 46th infusion of Tysabri.

Whenever infusion time roles around each month, it makes me reflect upon how far I have come on this journey of living with MS. From barely being able to walk in September of 2006 (4.5 on the EDSS scale), I'm now able to practice yoga everyday. Do I still have a hard time balancing on my left side? Of course! Is boat pose more challenging when my legs are tired and hard to hold up(due to to poor nerve communication)? YES! (something I talked about with a fellow yogini and Tysabri patient who knew exactly what I was talking about)

But the fact that I feel physically and mentally strong brings me great humbleness and gratitude for both Tysabri and this ancient practice of yoga. At times back in 2006, I thought I would never walk again or be able to feel my feet or even write or hold a fork. Fortunately, I have found an incredible drug therapy that works for me. And I've found a form of mental, spiritual and physical exercise that allows me to live with this disease using a strong focus towards healing from the inside out.

Thank goodness for both drug and yoga therapy! Feeling truly blessed this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment