Filming MyMS Yoga in Boston with Baron Baptiste

Filming MyMS Yoga in Boston with Baron Baptiste

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Why did I find yoga? Why did yoga find me?

Sometimes I wonder that if I had never been diagnosed with MS, would I have ever set foot in a yoga studio? I'm pretty sure I never would have.... I'd still be running and cycling like crazy. BUT being diagnosed with MS forced me to look into other options to stay fit and maintain my strength. Little did I know that I was in for so much more than just a physical "workout".

I recently did an interview with FoxNews.com's Strategy Room (link coming soon) on the benefits of yoga for MS patients including a panel of FOX NEWS hosts; Dr. Manny Alvarez, Dr. Cynara Coomer and Janice Dean (FOX meteorologist and MS Patient).

We discussed how yoga helps MS patients manage daily symptoms like muscle weakness, stiffness and spasticity. As an MS patient and yoga practitioner, yoga helps me build energy, increases my overall strength and stamina and I am able to focus my mind on my breath and just be "as I am" (Janice definitely agreed on this one). Whatever length of time you commit to yourself and your practice, you'll experience some benefit if even just lying on your belly and breathing full complete yoga breaths. The breathing alone elicits the relaxation response and engages the parasympathetic nervous system.

There's a deep sense of peace, power and relaxation that you feel when you are flowing through poses and moving in sync with your breath.

If you are not able to get to a studio or a yoga class for MS patients, visit MyMS Yoga to order your free dvd: www.mymsyoga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment